Monday, November 23, 2009

Hers and Hers Chili and Pumpkin Cornbread

Although we are smack in the middle of fall and football season I have yet to make my turkey chili...it could possibly be that this is the first fall I really haven't eaten any meat...so it just hasn't been on my radar. But apparently is has been on erin's! So when she ever so nicely demanded that I whip up some chili I gladly agreed!
She offered to enjoy it meatless with me, but I figured why not just make two separate batches?
I use this tried and true Weight Watchers Turkey Chili Recipe, with a few additions of my own.
What goes good with chili (other than beer) why cornbread of course! I had seen this recipe for Pumpkin Cornbread earlier this month and its been in the back of my cooking brain ever since.

After a quick trip to the grocery store for minimal supplies I got to work!

I decided to start the batch of chili with all of the veggies and brown the meat separately. Once I added the spices I then transferred 1/2 the chili over the turkey meat, and left the other 1/2 meat free! hence: Hers and Hers Chili.
My add ins:
-frozen corn
-butternut squash
-mushrooms
I will add that its mighty spicy, but that's the way that erin likes it! You can feel free to reduce the chili powder or red pepper flakes to your desired hotness.

While the chili was simmering away I went to work on the pumpkin cornbread. I simply followed the directions (no molasses in house so I substitute some maple syrup per erin's suggestion) and waited to bake it until we were ready to eat (i think cornbread is the best warm out of the oven!).










Here's a close up of both....

YUM YUM. The cornbread had a nice holiday spice to it and cut the heat a bit in the chili.

0 Comments: