Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Popcorn Pleasures

I would say at least five times a week I end my night eating popcorn. I love popcorn. I love the taste. I love the texture. I especially love the half popped, didn't quite make it to a full kernel pieces. I learned while doing weight watchers that 94% Fat Free popcorn was extremely low in points for a huge bowl. This was enough to make popcorn one of my staple snacks. Keep in mind that not all popcorn is created equal. Even the boxes that tend to read "natural" are nigher in calories and fat than the 94% FF kind. I tend to think that the only way popcorn can really be "natural" is popped with an air popper (which I also happen to love but just don't own currently).

I always loved popcorn before WW, but seeing how low in points it was just made me appreciate it that much more. When I realized how it got me through munchies that inevitably come when dieting I knew it was a "dish" I planned on keeping. Nowadays I fully enjoy my nightly ritual and it often helps me to put down the fork at dinner knowing that I do get to eat again later (i'm telling you i love to eat!).

There is an art to popping it via microwave for me. I always hit the popcorn button but then after it's finished I hit the button again and wait until I hear almost no kernels popping anymore. I should mention that this often gives the popcorn a slightly burnt taste...but that's just the way I like it.

I also should mention that I have this habit, knowing how guilt free the popcorn is, to add a little "surprise" as erin calls it, in the bottom of my bowl. This can range from a few MM's to a little piece of a cookie calling my name. I think this helps to indulge my desert craving without completely giving in!

Random post I know but after going back through some of my old posts I realized that I don't blog about some of the items I tend to eat on a daily basis. Since my cooking has been slim lately I thought better to blog about something than nothing (right Caroline :)! So this is the beginning of some slightly mundane but ever present items in my eating repertoire.

0 Comments: