Monday, September 29, 2008

Whole Wheat Banana Bread

I have had three black, ripened, frozen bananas in the freezer for about two months now just dying to be made into bread. I actually use to have about six but little by little I used them up in oatmeal when the fresh bananas were all gone. I knew it would be overwhelming to narrow in on just one banana bread recipe (just try googling healthy banana bread), the options are endless. Thankfully in my daily blog reading I had come across rave reviews for Fitnessista's homemade whole wheat banana bread.
Here we go:

Servings: 48 Makes: 2 loaves
• 4 medium ripe bananas, mashed
• 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
• 1 egg
• 1 1/4 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar of your choice)
• 1 cup golden raisins
• 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray glass loaf pans (2 - 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5) with cooking oil spray.
Mix the dry ingredients, then add the wet. Stir until blended but don't over mix. Pour into loaf pans. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 5 - 8 minutes. Remove from loaf pans and cool completely. Slice and serve. Wrap with plastic wrap keep moist.
Per Serving: 71 Calories (maybe less because I omit the oil the original recipe calls for) 2g Fat 1g Protein 13g Carbohydrate 1g Dietary Fiber trace Cholesterol 79mg Sodium

So now for my minor changes (mainly due to my lack of supplies). I thought that I had a full cup of nonfat yogurt, but I only had about 1/2 :(. I opted to make up the difference with fat free sour cream...this subsitution completely worked! Also I had to leave out the golden raisins because we didn't have any in the house. I thought about adding in walnuts, which we did have in the house, but erin isn't a huge fan of nuts in bread. I did go ahead and add a bit of ginger to the spices just to add a bit more flavor (i was feeling adventurous haha). The mix was quite thick and I added a few splashes of skim milk just to make sure all the flour was fully incorporated.

This bread turned out really great! I thought about freezing one loaf but the way that baked goods go around this house there really was no need! I always worry with whole wheat baking that it will be too dense, or lose any moisture overnight, but three days later and it is still really yummy.

I couldn't believe that the calories were so low for this bread, especially because the flavor was so good. I think you could also choose to add in raisins, nuts or other dried fruit of your liking. The possiblities are endless. This will be a must bake again for me.






0 Comments: