Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Mexican Day, OLE!

As you can already guess from previous posts I really enjoy many different flavors and types of cuisines. I think one of the hardest things to do is find dishes, from your favorite cuisines, that you can make healthy yet still keep the authentic taste. One of my personal favorite cuisines is Mexican. Living in NYC there are alot of amazingly delicious, authentic Mexican restaurants around. There also just happens to be a cheap, deliciously good delivery place that is right near my apartment! I must admit that most of the time when I am in the mood for Mexican I utilize a "cheat" night as I find the indulgence well worth it. With that said I do find myself trying to pick "healthier choices" when it comes to my selection. For a long time I really didn't think that good Mexican food was something that could be altered into a healthy option.


However over the summer erin and I were introduced to some amazing, healthy choices for Mexican showing me it WAS in fact possible . One of the dishes was chile rellejnos, made healthy with an amazing stuffing of corn and tons of veggies instead of the normal oodles and oodles of cheese. Very healthy and extremely tasty! Along side that was served homemade guacamole with the slight indulgence of chips (one of my downfalls although our chef friend also introduced me to Guiltless Gourmet Chips!). Now I must add that these dishes tasted anything but "healthy".

So this weekend, when faced with what to cook, we were actually getting together with our friend/chef that created that incredible meal above. Naturally we decided to go Mexican again. This time we attempted Shrimp Fajitas . Both of our significant others are also big chicken lovers, and being a lean protein we opted to double the marinate recipe and add chicken as well. We made sure to cook the chicken first, as it takes longer than the shrimp, but kept everything in one big pan.
In addition to the fajitas we also had her amazing homemade guacamole again(this is a regular request made from her kitchen when we visit) and she also did a homemade salsa. Crazy good!

Weekends are also a good time to indulge in a drink or...more. An obvious pair to Mexican food would be a Margarita. Being a consumer of these in the past, and then having to give them up due to their high point values, I was pleasantly surprised to find this healthy margarita recipe! What a find. Erin is normally the bar tender when it comes to these drinks. And as we keep to the kitchen she keeps the shaker going (although to be honest I would not recommend shaking these margaritas because the soda will go flat!).

I will always indulge in a good authentic Mexican meal, however this alternative just gives me yet another way to say OLE!








0 Comments: