Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Peanut Pasta from a kitchen not so far away...

My little sister was visiting NYC the other day and called to ask for my suggestion for a good Thai restaurant. I then directed the inquiry to Erin who is much better at remembering the city that I will ever be. This also prompted us both to have an intense craving for Thai food. Not the healthiest cuisine, yet with the help of my trusty, now neatly organized (this is a recent description) recipe binder I was able to find my recipe for Peanut Pasta with Shredded Chicken and Vegetables.

I remembered that this recipe contained Chile-garlic sauce (or chili-garlic sauce, or paste) which is a blend of ground chiles, garlic and vinegar and is commonly used to add heat and flavor to Asian soups, sauces and stir-fries. It can be found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and keeps up to 1 year in the refrigerator. The good news is although that seems like an intimidating ingredient to find (and it was) it last through many many recipes. I actually add a bit extra this time around, and we had to add a few more wipes of the nose as well. It was spicy! I also recommend cooking the chicken in fat free chicken broth, rather than water. Just adds a bit more flavor.

I'll have you know that this one obtained an 8.8 by Erin. We actually had quite a lengthy debate about the rating. You see she was unaware that I had begun sharing her ratings, and felt immense pressure now to make sure they were accurate from this point on. So I warned her that sometimes she might get caught up in the moment/bite and blurt out a rating that will forever affect the other dishes she may try. She wanted to give this dish a 9, but when I reminded her that this was in fact the rating for the previously blogged Chicken Saagwalla she had to rethink her entire process.



I may have done the cooking last night, but she sure worked too!

0 Comments: