Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Snowed in with spinach wraps and snacks!

This morning we woke up to yet another nasty weather day in New England...what does that mean? Snow days for teachers (and erin just happens to be a teacher). So I opted to work from home and join her! We both were enjoying our morning coffee and working on our respective laptops when hungry hit. we were about to reach for oatmeal/cereal and toast when I suggested making our own breakfast wraps. when we lived in brooklyn we used to order take-out from a diner that knew my order by heart "a spinach and egg white wrap with one slice of american cheese" YUM. I really miss that place :(.
Back on task: we had made homemade quesadillas the night before so we had left over wraps, cheese and i usually always have spinach and egg whites on hand. erin went to work on cooking the spinach (which she wanted me to note really cooks down alot so make sure you add enough). Also another tip from the chef: make sure to let the egg whites sit in the pan with a top on it for a little bit. Due to all the water in spinach it causes the egg whites to take a lot longer to cook than normal.
These were great. A bit of furit salad and ketchup on the side!
Next I headed to the gym and thought i was on my way to work at night...but surprise surprise got the night off! I headed home where erin and i were hungry yet again!!(hey it had been at least four hours :)
Erin suggested that we make our own pizzas and since dinner was still a few hours away we tied our stomachs over with a nice fruit/hummus/melba toast plate. YUM.
We tried star fruit for the first time...not a big fan. Doesn't have much of a flavor to me. Maybe it wasn't ripe enough?
Oh and just to be complete my wine is on the left, erin's beer on the right!
I love snow days!!!

3 Comments:

Meg said...

Yum those spinach wraps look delicious!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

If starfruit is not sweet, try a pinch of salt with it.

Thanks for adding us as a friend on Foodbuzz. We welcome you to come visit our site!

kate said...

Thanks! I will try that next time.